Sunday, May 15, 2011

May Book Club

   My monthly book club met yesterday morning. This month we discussed 'When the Mississippi Ran Backwards' by Jay Feldman. I previously reviewed the book here. While I enjoyed the book to the point that I actually took time to 'read more about it', most in my group did not find it very interesting. In fact, of the nine women who came this month, only four of us managed to finish the book! I enjoy reading history and learning, but I think most would read for relaxation and would rather 'be entertained'. That is NOT a bad thing. It took me a long time to learn to enjoy reading without a 'purpose' and not feel like I was 'goofing off' or wasting time. But if you've been following, you see I've overcome that.

Here are some discussion questions. If you've read the book, or just know a lot about the earthquakes, please chime in. It would be fun to have a discussion about it.

1. Do you think the new Madrid fault will cause another earthquake? How do you think it will affect the area?
2.When Col. George Morgan established New Madrid do you think he would have anticipated having to deal with a person like James Wilkinson?
3. Do you think William Henry Harrison treated the Native American tribes fairly in Indiana?
4. Did you blame Tecumseh for organizing a resistance movement against the U.S. Government? Do you think Tecumseh handled the movement in a intelligent manner?
5. What kind of men do you think Lilburne & Isham Lewis were?
6. what was your reaction to the murder of George the slave?
7. Did the Lewis brothers deserve the fate they recieved after George's body was revealed by the earthquake?
8. Did you think the actions taken by Andrew Jackson were right?
9.What was your impression of Lydia & Nicholas Roosevelt?
10. Do you think it was morally reprehensible for him to marry her when she was 13 & he 37?
11. Did you think the vessel New Orleans would make it down the Mississippi?
12. Were you suprised at the damage that the aftershocks caused in 1812?
13. Do you think the British were justified in their aggressive actions towards the U.S.?
14. Was the Battle of New Orleans necessary considering the Treaty of Ghent had been signed before the battle? Was it worth the casualties?
15. Do you think the Feb. 17, 1815 New Madrid Relief Act was rigged from the start?

   Next month we will be discussing 'Women, Food, and God' by Geneen Roth. This is a self-help book, and one I am not really looking forward to reading. The title reminds me of 'Eat, Love, and Pray' which I couldn't finish. I'm told that this book is not at all like that, but I really don't think it is one I'm going to enjoy. I guess I'll have to let you know what I think after I read it. Meanwhile, if you've already read the book, I'd like to know what you thought of it. Just leave me a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment