Saturday, November 8, 2014

Six Degrees of Separation:


It’s time for another Six Degrees of Separation! Six Degrees of Separation is a monthly meme, hosted by Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman, which normally runs on the first Saturday of the month. The main idea of this meme is to form a chain of books by linking something they have in common, kind of like forming a word ladder with common letters, and everyone begins their chains with the same book. Other than that, there are no set rules. You get to make your own!

This month, we are starting with We’re All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. I haven’t read this one, or even heard of it before, but when I saw the cover, the first thing I thought of is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. This is a classic, and I’ve seen the movie many times, but I’ve never actually read the book. I guess you could say reading this classic is on my ‘book bucket list’.

Another classic that I have never actually read, but have seen the movie or play many times, is The Crucible by Arthur Miller. I first saw a tv version when I was a kid, and it has stuck with me, leading to a bit of an ‘obsession’ on the Salem witch trials!

When I first read the synopsis of The Fever by Megan Abbott, I was immediately reminded of The Crucible. Though it doesn’t involve the Salem witches, or at least I don’t think it does (I haven’t read it yet!), it is a story of mass hysteria and the effects on the community, much like The Crucible.

From The Fever by Megan Abbott I am jumping to The Daring Ladies of Lowell by Kate Abbott because the authors have the same last name! Kate has written two historical fiction novels and I’ve enjoyed them both! She has a new one coming out early next year, and I will be reading that one also.

Speaking of her next novel, A Touch of Stardust (same author…) is due out in February. I have already added it to my ‘must read’ least! This is another historical fiction novel, this time set in Hollywood in the ‘golden age’. I’m looking forward to crossing paths with Clark Gable and Carole Lombard in this one!

Another novel set in the ‘golden age’ of Hollywood is American Blonde by Jennifer Niven. I won this one from the Library Thing Early Reviewers program. I was drawn to the cover with the gorgeous Hollywood starlet! The golden age of Hollywood seems to be a popular theme right now, and I am loving it!

So there it is...my chain. From We’re All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler to American Blonde by Jennifer Niven. And since I get to make the rules,this month I am stopping with a chain instead of making a circle!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. The Fever sounds really interesting, I'm going to go and check that out. If you're into the golden age of Hollywood, Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures is an interesting read. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to my list!

      Delete