Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tuesday Memes: The Perfect Mother


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where you can share the first paragraph, or a few, of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!

Today I am spotlighting The Perfect Mother by Nina Darnton


When an American exchange student is accused of murder, her mother will stop at nothing to save her.

A midnight phone call shatters Jennifer Lewis’s carefully orchestrated life. Her daughter, Emma, who’s studying abroad in Spain, has been arrested after the brutal murder of another student. Jennifer rushes to her side, certain the arrest is a terrible mistake and determined to do whatever is necessary to bring Emma home. But as she begins to investigate the crime, she starts to wonder whether she ever really knew her daughter. The police charge Emma, and the press leaps on the story, exaggerating every sordid detail. One by one, Emma’s defense team, her father, and finally even Jennifer begin to have doubts.
 A novel of harrowing emotional suspense, The Perfect Mother probes the dark side of parenthood and the complicated bond between mothers and daughters.

Opening Paragraph

    It was midnight and, lying next to her husband in their Philadelphia home, Jennifer Lewis was fast asleep. It had been a good day. Lily, their sixteen year old, had just found out she had made both the soccer team and the honor roll. Eight-year-old Eric was fast asleep after a day at the circus. And Emma, their twenty-year-old college girl, was having the time of her life in Spain for her junior year abroad. Life seemed so perfect that when the phone rang, Jennifer didn’t even have the usual flare of panic engendered by an unexpected middle-of-the-night interruption. Her husband, Mark, work first.
    “Get it, will you, honey?” he mumbled, still half-asleep.
    She reached over to pick up the phone.
    “Hello?”
    It was Emma’s voice, shaken and vulnerable, through torrents of tears.
    “Mom,” she sobbed. “You told me not to do anything stupid, and I did.”

My Teaser

    “Changed? Why? What negative things could they have dug up?” She looked again at Jennifer, her voice rising in agitation. “Mom?"
page 87

So...what do you think? Is this one you would pick up? Leave a comment below!
post signature

15 comments:

  1. That's a powerful intro Kim; yes I would keep reading -- enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I haven't heard of this book before but I am super intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked. And the cover is very telling. I'd like to read this.
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/12/16/teaser-tuesdays-92-dependent/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds familiar. ^_^ I would continue reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT ~ Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds intriguing. Especially the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was drawn to it when I first heard of it, and then downloaded it. Hope to read it soon!

    It sounds intense...and although it seems like the Amanda Knox story, I am sure there will be unexpected events. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good intro. The summary sounds like some of recent news stories. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of the Amanda Knox murder trial in Italy. I like the way the author shatters the mother's perfect life with a nighttime phone call. Don't we all dread those?
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog post.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine. I hope my family never has to experience anything like that. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book last month and really enjoyed it, one of those books where it is impossible not to question what you would do in a similar situation. Here is my TT for this week https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/teaser-tuesday-december-16/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds exciting. I want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, that intro grabbed my attention. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great first paragraph. I think it's a fear every mother experiences at some point, although maybe not to this extreme. I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like an intriguing read. I'd keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds excellent. The title doesn't really indicate what kind of book it is. If I just saw the title, I'd probably pass it up. The blurb sells it for me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete