The ‘New Author Challenge’ is hosted by Literary Escapism. This one keeps tracks of books I read by ‘new’ authors. The ‘new’ refers to authors that are ‘new-to-me’, meaning I’ve never read them before, and not necessarily first time authors. Since about half the books I’ve read in 2011 were authors I’d not read before, this one seems pretty easy to me.
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012.
- Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from anthologies.
- I want this to be an easy challenge, so you can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be. For me, I want to say I’m going to do another 50 new authors, but with two kids, I didn’t made my goal in 2011, so I’m going to be smarter and say 25. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don’t stop. Any new author you try can be added to Mr. Linky. We all want to know about your new experience.
- After reading your new author, write your review and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and the author, but adding the title is completely up to you.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome. You don’t have to have a site to participate. You can link up via Facebook, GoodReads or even Amazon if you’d like.
I’m tempted to go with the medium level - 25 books since most of the books I read in 2012 were by ‘new-to-me‘ authors. But I’m also a little hesitant because I really enjoyed some of the authors I discovered in 2011 and plan to read them again. I think I will stretch myself though, and go with 25 authors.