Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday Memes: Five Days Left


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where you can share the first paragraph, or a few, of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!

Today I am spotlighting Five Days Left by Julia Lawson Timmer

Destined to be a book club favorite, a heart-wrenching debut about two people who must decide how much they’re willing to sacrifice for love.

Mara Nichols is a successful lawyer, devoted wife, and adoptive mother who has received a life-shattering diagnosis. Scott Coffman, a middle school teacher, has been fostering an eight-year-old boy while the boy’s mother serves a jail sentence. Scott and Mara both have five days left until they must say good-bye to the ones they love the most.
Through their stories, Julie Lawson Timmer explores the individual limits of human endurance and the power of relationships, and shows that sometimes loving someone means holding on, and sometimes it means letting go.

Opening Paragraph

  Mara had chosen the method long ago: pills, vodka and carbon monoxide. A “garage cocktail,” she called it. The name sounded almost elegant, and sometimes, when she said it out loud, she could make herself believe it wasn’t horrifying.

My Teaser

    She  stepped away from the chair and did a pirouette, arms raised above her head, hands in “fancy position,” as she had seen the big girls do at ballet school. Striking a final pose, she looked at her mother and smiled triumphantly.
page 7

(These quotes are from uncorrected advance proofs. Please refer to the final printed book for corrected quotes!)

So...what do you think? Is this one you would pick up? Leave a comment below!
post signature

11 comments:

  1. I've heard a bit about this book....I'm keeping it on my radar. I'll keep a lookout for your review!
    Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, this could be a pretty emotional read....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is in my queue...it's been getting a lot of buzz. Hope you enjoy it and that it lives up to the hype.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this one sounds sad...but I want to know more! Definitely adding it to my list. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about this one, but not sure of it. The intro and teasers you shared, however, have me thinking I should give it a try. It does sound like it will be an emotional read, but worth it, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without knowing what it is about, I'd have to read a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a compelling story, even though it could be really sad. Guess I'd have to be in the right mood to read it.
    Today I’m featuring THE MERMAID GARDEN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was already on my radar, and I would probably read it, though it sounds so emotional..doesn't that say something about me that I would read it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am afraid it will be really sad. Sometimes I need a good cathartic cry, but I have to be in the right place and time. I will watch for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure, having known someone that killed himself I think it might be too hard for me to read. I hope you enjoy it. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, I am curious after reading the intro. Thanks for koining us Kim.

    ReplyDelete