Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: Reached

Reached
Matched #3
by Ally Condie

Why did you choose this book? I read the first two books in the series
When did you read this book? February 2014
Who should read this book? readers of dystopian YA fiction
Source: ebook from library
Here is a synopsis of Reached from Goodreads
After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.
My Review 

I read this one because I’d read Matched and Crossed and really liked them both! However, this one feel a little flat for me. I’m sure it didn’t help that it was almost 2 years between the time I read Crossed and reading this one. I had forgotten quite a bit of detail and it took a little while to get it back. But even if I’d read Reached immediately after reading Crossed, I think I would have been confused. I think the Enemy and the Rising are different groups, and I don’t think the Otherworld is part of either. But I’m not sure of any of that. I really don’t go to a lot of movies and almost never enjoy a movie based on a book, but this is one time I was wishing a movie was available. I think a visual might have been helpful.

I also didn’t really like where the story went in this book. If you’ve read the series, you know that there is a ‘love triangle’ involving Cassia, Ky, and Xander. I will say, I didn’t think the book was particularly predictable here. There were plenty of times I thought Cassia would choose Ky, and others when I thought she’d choose Xander. I also wondered if she may not end up with either of them. If I only cared about this, I could say the story had a satisfactory ending. But my problem is, I invested time reading three books expecting to learn what had happened to cause the Society to come about and a revolution of some sort to occur. Here, the resolution was not at all satisfactory. I still don’t have a clear idea of who, or what, the Society is, and how the Rising and the Enemy are connected, if they ARE connected. I also don’t really know who is in charge at the story. I’m happy I read Reached, because I needed to know I completed the series. But I’m not sure it was worth it. Other the relationships between Cassia, Xander, and Ky, I don’t feel like anything is really resolved.

My Rating:  ★★★   3 Stars

Here is a book trailed for Reached.


No comments:

Post a Comment