Monday, May 16, 2011

Review: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I did not read past page 50 of this book. It is NOT because I 'hated' the book. I actually thought it was at least 'OK', and I possibly would have gone as high as 3 stars if I'd finished it. I quit after 50 pages because, while it was entertaining, I decided I'd rather spend the time reading a Lincoln biography and learn some real facts. But this book will probably be an interesting read for those who are looking for this type story.

The book is based on the fact that many historians believe Abraham Lincoln kept a diary that is yet to be discovered. In this story, the diaries are in possession of a modern day vampire, who turns them over to a writer. The diaries begin when Lincoln was a young boy and his step-mother recognizes his intelligence and presents him with a diary. It is not very long before his father tells him a story....

It is not very long before his drunken father tells him the 'true' story of his grandfather's death. He was NOT massacred by Indians, as everyone has long believed, but he was attacked by a young vampire. The death was witnessed by Abe's father. Not only that, but Abe's mother, Nancy, who is believed to have died from 'the milk sick' was also killed by a vampire; this time as revenge when Tom Lincoln (Abe's father) could not repay a loan the vampire had made him. Abe is, of course' furious. He vows to kill every vampire in North America, and to begin with the vampire that killed his mother.

That's as far as I read. Sorry. It DOES sound interesting, and I may actually go back and finish the book someday. Just not today.

If you choose to read this book, and finish it, I'd love to hear what you thought! Just leave me a comment, or a link to your review. Thanks!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment