Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review: The Promise of Stardust


The Promise of Stardust
by Priscille Sibley

Why did you choose this book? the synopsis reminds me of Jodi Picoult
When did you read this book? July 2013
Who should read this book? fans of Jodi Picoult
Source: library ebook
Here is a synopsis of The Promise of Stardust from Goodreads

Matt Beaulieu was two years old the first time he held Elle McClure in his arms, seventeen when he first kissed her under a sky filled with shooting stars, and thirty-three when they wed. Now in their late thirties, the deeply devoted couple has everything—except the baby they've always wanted.

When a tragic accident leaves Elle brain-dead, Matt is devastated. Though he cannot bear losing her, he knows his wife, a thoughtful and adventurous scientist, feared only one thing—a slow death. Just before Matt agrees to remove Elle from life support, the doctors discover that she is pregnant. Now what was once a clear-cut decision becomes an impossible choice. Matt knows how much this child would have meant to Elle. While there is no certainty her body can sustain the pregnancy, he is sure Elle would want the baby to have a chance. Linney, Matt's mother, believes her son is blind with denial. She loves Elle, too, and insists that Elle would never want to be kept alive by artificial means, no matter what the situation.

Divided by the love they share, driven by principle, Matt and Linney fight for what each believes is right, and the result is a disagreement that escalates into a controversial legal battle, ultimately going beyond one family and one single life.

Told with sensitivity and compassion, The Promise of Stardust is an emotionally resonant and thought-provoking tale that raises profound questions about life and death, faith and medicine—and illuminates, with beauty and grace, the power of love to wound . . . and to heal.

My Review 

I added this book to my ‘to read’ list when I noticed the beautiful cover. I love the starry night sky! Then I read the synopsis and it read like a Jodi Picoult story. I was even more convinced I wanted to read it. Somewhere along the way I lost track of it. And when I noticed it again, I read the reviews and noticed that a lot of people were not saying good things about it. So I set it aside.

Then a few weeks ago, I had a long trip planned and needed to load up my ereader with library books. A lot of my choices were not available, but this one was. So, even though I didn’t expect to like it much, I added it to my iPad, because it cost me nothing to try it and not finish. I’m so glad I did!

Matt is a talented, dedicated neurosurgeon. Elle is a bright, recently retired astronaut. They have known each other since the day Elle was born and loved each other almost as long! One day Matt receives a call from his partner saying he needs to be in ER stat! His beautiful wife has had an accident. When Matt arrives, he realizes there is no hope for her; she is brain dead! He also knows that the only thing that Elle was more afraid of than dying, was NOT dying when her condition was hopeless. So he realizes he will make the choice to have her removed from life support. UNTIL.....he learns she is pregnant! He quickly decides she will be kept alive in order to give the baby a chance to live. That would not be a problem, except that his family, his mother and his brother-in-law, decide that Elle should NOT be on life support; that she has made it clear she did not want to live this way. A legal battle ensues.

There are no ‘bad guys’ in this story. Every character acts as he does because he believes he is doing the right thing, and they all act out of love. But the question is.... what is the right thing to do in this situation. There is a lot to think about as you read and ponder how you would act, and a lot to discuss. The book has a reading group guide at the back. The Promise of Stardust would be a great pick for a book club!

This is the author’s debut novel. I can’t wait to read more from her!

My Rating:  ★★★★1/2 4-1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment