Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Review: The Supreme Macaroni Company

The Supreme Macaroni Company
by Adraina Trigiani

Why did you choose this book? I was introduced to the author’s work when I read The Shoemakers Wife
When did you read this book? December 2013
Who should read this book? Adriana Trigiani fans and readers who enjoy Italy
Source: TLC Book Tours
Here is a synopsis of The Supreme Macaroni Company from TLC Book Tours

For over a hundred years, the Angelini Shoe Company in Greenwich Village has relied on the leather produced by Vechiarelli & Son in Tuscany. This historic business partnership provides the twist of fate for Valentine Roncalli, the school teacher turned shoemaker, to fall in love with Gianluca Vechiarelli, a tanner with a complex past . . . and a secret.

A piece of surprising news is revealed at The Feast of the Seven Fishes when Valentine and Gianluca join her extended family on a fateful Christmas Eve. Now faced with life altering choices, Valentine remembers the wise words that inspired her in the early days of her beloved Angelini Shoe Company: “A person who can build a pair of shoes can do just about anything.” The proud, passionate Valentine is going to fight for everything she wants and savor all she deserves—the bitter and the sweetness of life itself.

The Supreme Macaroni Company is Trigiani at her comedic and dramatic best, the inside story of a family business, and the shoemaker who carries on the tradition while juggling a new marriage and family. The pull between old world Italian ways and American ambition tear at Valentine, as a secret is revealed that changes the course of her life. The story takes the reader from the cobblestone streets of Greenwich Village, to lush New Orleans, and home to Italy, in Tuscany and on the Amalfi coast, with a surprise twist that takes the action to America’s rust belt, Youngstown, Ohio.

My Review 

This is the third book in a series, and I know when I read a book that is part of a series, I always want to know if it will work as a stand alone. Because I knew I was going to review this, I decided to read the first two books in the series first. Having read them, I can say that yes, you COULD read this as a stand alone, but I dont’ think you SHOULD read this as a stand alone. I think you will enjoy it more if you’ve read the other books first. This is a continuation of Valentine’s story, and while the author DOES give a the necessary background, she obviously can’t go into the detail she did in the first two books. I think the details enhance the story. Also, Valentine comes from a large Italian American family, and getting to know the characters really slowed down the story for me in the first book. I enjoyed the second book much more because I could jump right in, feeling like I was returning to old friends.

As in the previous books, the author writes wonderfully. I love the descriptive language, especially when the story is set in Italy. I also enjoyed the story, with just a couple of reservations. As I already mentioned, I enjoyed being with Val’s family again. But there were a few things that disappointed me, the first being the ending. I actually don’t have a problem with me, except that it made me sad. What I did find annoying was Val. At one point during an argument, she was told she was acting like a child...and she was. Throughout much of the story. She wanted it all, which is understandable, but at some point you have to realize you need to make choices about what is most important to you and quit whining. I’m not sure she got that, even at the end. I don’t know if there will be a sequel, but if so, it will be interesting to see if Val shows any growth. The other thing that was a little disappointing, and this is minor, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the Argentinian cousin in this book.

All in all, this was a good series, and I’m glad I read it, but I’m still saying if you are only going to read one Adriana Trigiani book, make sure it is The Shoemaker’s Wife!

Adriana Trigiani is an award-winning playwright, television writer, and documentary filmmaker. Her books include the New York Times best seller The Shoemaker’s Wife; the Big Stone Gap series; Very Valentine; Brava, Valentine; Lucia, Lucia; and the best-selling memoirDon’t Sing at the Table, as well as the young adult novelsViola in Reel Life and Viola in the Spotlight. She has written the screenplay for Big Stone Gap. which she will also direct. She lives in New York City with her husband and daughter.
Find out more about Adriana at her website, connect with her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.

My review of Brava, Valentine
My review of Very Valentine

My Rating:  ★★★1/2   3-1/2 Stars



This book review is included in a tour by TLC Book Tours. I received a copy of the book in return for an honest review, which you can read above.

Adriana’s Tour Stops

Monday, November 11th: Bloggin’ ‘Bout Books
Tuesday, November 12th: Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile
Wednesday, November 13th: Becca’s Byline
Thursday, November 14th: Kritters Ramblings
Monday, November 18th: Svetlana’s Reads and Views
Tuesday, November 19th: Peeking Between the Pages
Thursday, November 21st: Always With a Book
Monday, November 25th: Broken Teepee
Tuesday, November 26th: bookchickdi
Wednesday, November 27th: Bibliophilia, Please
Friday, November 29th: Lesa’s Book Critiques
Monday, December 2nd: Book Addict Katie
Tuesday, December 3rd: Alison’s Book Marks
Wednesday, December 4th: Ageless Pages Reviews
Sunday, December 8th: Lavish Bookshelf
Monday, December 9th: Joyfully Retired
Wednesday, December 11th: Love at First Book
Thursday, December 12th: A Book Geek
Thursday, December 12th: A Chick Who Reads
Friday, December 13th: Books and Movies
Tuesday, December 17th: Lisa’s Yarns
Wednesday, December 18th: Col Reads
Friday, December 20th: Drey’s Library
Wednesday, January 1st: The Lost Entwife
Wednesday, January 1st: Tiffany’s Bookshelf
Thursday, January 2nd: Book-alicious Mama
Monday, January 6th: Reflections of a Bookaholic
Tuesday, January 7th: A Bookish Way of Life
Wednesday, January 8th: Time 2 Read
Wednesday, January 8th: Stephany Writes
Thursday, January 9th: Walking With Nora

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to getting to know Valentine - she seems like quite the lady!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete