Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review: Sing You Home

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I gave this book 4 stars, but I'd really like to give it 4-1/2 or even 4-3/4. There are things that happened at the end that I didn't like that kept me from giving it a full 5-stars. The worst is the epilogue, which jumps almost 7 years into the future, and jumps from step A to step G without telling us how we got there. It leaves too many questions for me. But having said that, I REALLY liked this book! I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult and enjoyed them all. Until now though, none has been as good as the first one I read (My Sister's Keeper). Finally, I can say, 'This is the best Jodi Picoult book I have read!'

The story is about Zoe, a music therapist, who is married to Max, a gardener/lawn service business owner. They have been married for 10 years and trying to have a child for 9 of those. The have undergone numerous in vitro fertilization attempts and suffered several miscarriages. Finally, Zoe is pregnant and nearly to 28 weeks, when her mother throws a baby shower. Tragedy strikes at the shower and Zoe once again loses her baby. When she starts talking of another attempt, and the doctor explains the risks to not only the baby, but herself, Max has had enough, and storms out of the doctors office and out of the marriage.

IF you haven't read other reviews, I suggest you stop reading now. The reason is, I did NOT read others and because I didn't, I have no idea what was coming next. In some ways, I'm glad I didn't, because I think not knowing added to the story for me. If you read the other reviews......read on.

(The first spoiler only gives a hint of what's to come that is included in most reviews. It won't spoil the end for you) 
I've kept the font light. To read, highlight or cut and paste....or just click on the Goodreads link above.

spoiler 1
Still here? Okay. I loved all the issues tackled in this book. While doing music therapy with a HS girl, Zoe falls in love with the student's counselor. They marry and decide to use the remaining embryos to have a child together. But Max objects and a 'custody' battle ensues. Rights to the embryos would be a big enough issue to tackle, but JP turns it up several notches by making the HS counselor female. So now, not only is the book about an embryo custody battle, but also about same-sex marriage and adoption by gay parents.
spoiler 1

(This one is a real spoiler. Do NOT read if you don't want to know how the book ends.)
I've kept the font light. To read, highlight or cut and paste....or just click on the Goodreads link above.

spoiler 2
Max becomes a 'born-again' Christian, a very fundamentalist Christian. His brother and sister-in-law, who have had fertility issues of their own, want a child. Max decides the solution is to give the embryos to his sister-in-law. He has always 'coveted' his sister-in-law. One thing I really didn't like in story was the relationship between Max and his sister-in-law. I particularly didn't like how poorly the story was developed at the end....meaning it was NOT developed. The other thing I didn't like was the quick resolution of the court-case, and how it was settled 'out of court'. I would really have liked to have seen how a judge would rule on this case.
spoiler 2

Though I had problems with the ending, I really did enjoy this book. If you are a fan of Jodi Picoult, be sure to pick this one up!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment