Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons


Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the 2nd time I've read this book. It was originally recommended to me by several friends in my 'girls group' at church a few years ago. This time it was 'assigned' as a book club reading. I loved it both times! Strangely, as I read it this time, I realized I remembered nothing about the book, except that I'd loved it! I'd give it 4-1/2 stars if that were a possibility. The only reason I don't give it 5 is that towards the end, it seemed to have lost it's energy as the story wound down. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing, as the book traces the 'life' of a bookclub over 30 years. These woman also lost a bit of energy near the end, which is not unexpected as they are into their 50's and 60's.

The story is that of a group of neighbors who form a bookclub in the 60's. At times. the book ALMOST crosses into historical fiction, as events of the 60's, and later the 70's and 80's are worked into the story. It made the book kind of fun to read. If you are an older reader it will cause you to remember and reminisce. If you are a younger woman, it will provide some insight into what life was like before women had choices and opportunities. And if you are in between, you will get both!

As a group, the women face many crises as they confront spousal abuse, infidelity,infertility, illness and accidents. As a group, though they are tested, they manage to stick together and to support each other. Makes you wish you had a group of friends like that. The book is very readable. It took may only a few days to read it (both times) even though it is close to 500 pages! Enjoy!

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment