Thursday, September 12, 2013

Review: The Last Romanov


The Last Romanov
by Dora Levy Mossanen

Why did you choose this book? I have developed an interest in Russian history
When did you read this book? October 2012
Who should read this book? fans of historical fiction; particularly set in Russia
Source: library ebook
Here is a synopsis of The Last Romanov from Goodreads.

In a time of Rasputin’s magic and Romanov mystery, a young girl finds herself at the heart of the Royal Family

She was an orphan, ushered into the royal palace on the prayers of her majestry. Yet, decades later, her time spent in the embrace of the Romanovs haunts her still. Is she responsible for those murderous events that changed everything?

If only she can find the heir, maybe she can put together the broken pieces of her own past-maybe she can hold on to the love she found. Bursting to life with the rich and glorious marvels of Imperial Russia, The Last Romanov is a magical tale of second chances and royal blood.

My Review 

I have read several historical books set in Russia in the past two years, so when I saw this one, I picked it up immediately. I knew I had to read it. Once I picked it up and started reading though, I thought ‘not so much’. It started out a bit slow, but I am so glad I stuck with it!

Darya’s parents are in the same social circle as Tsar Nicholas, and Darya’s mother is the best friend to Tsarina Alexandra. When Darya is orphaned at age 17, the Tsarina takes her into the castle and appoints her as a ‘nanny’ to the young Tsarovitch, Alexei. She comes to love him as a son, and is very loyal to the Royal Family, even in the midst of revolution. Rather than abandon them, Darya follows the Romanovs to their imprisonment and eventual death. Darya survives, and remains convinced that Alexei also has survived. She feels it is her duty to find him and help restore the monarchy, and this remains her life long goal. Many years later, when Darya is 104, which the local attribute to her evil magic, she is summoned to meet with a man who claims to be the heir to the throne. The story alternates between Darya at age 17 and Darya at age 104, and there a few year surprise twists!

I found this to be a fascinating story! This is historical fiction at it’s best. The main character, Darya, is entirely fictional, but she interacts with so many people right out of history, and there is so much historical detail. I was inspired to read more about the Romanovs and Rasputin after finishing this one. If you are a fan of Russia history, give this one a try!

My Rating:  ★★★★  4 Stars

1 comment: