Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday Teasers: Letters To The Lost

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where you can share the first paragraph, or a few, of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along!

Today I am spotlighting Letters To The Lost by Iona Grey
Late on a frozen February evening, a young woman is running through the streets of London. Having fled from her abusive boyfriend and with nowhere to go, Jess stumbles onto a forgotten lane where a small, clearly unlived in old house offers her best chance of shelter for the night. The next morning, a mysterious letter arrives and when she can’t help but open it, she finds herself drawn inexorably into the story of two lovers from another time.  

In London 1942, Stella meets Dan, a US airman, quite by accident, but there is no denying the impossible, unstoppable love that draws them together. Dan is a B-17 pilot flying his bomber into Europe from a British airbase; his odds of survival at one in five. The odds are stacked against the pair; the one thing they hold onto is the letters they write to each other. Fate is unkind and they are separated by decades and continents. In the present, Jess becomes determined to find out what happened to them. Her hope—inspired by a love so powerful it spans a lifetime—will lead her to find a startling redemption in her own life in a powerfully moving novel perfect for fans of Sarah Jio and Kate Morton.

Opening

Prologue

Maine, February 2011

   The house is at its most beautiful in the mornings.

   He designed it that way, with wide, wide windows which stretch from floor to ceiling, to bring in the sand and the ocean and the wide, wide sky. In the mornings the beach is empty and clean, a page on which the day is yet to be written. And the sunrise over the Atlantic is a daily miracle he always feels honored to witness.

    He never forgets how different it could have been.

My Teaser

    He was standing right beside where she’d sat last night; the place where her watch was most likely to be now. She hesitated, clammy with sudden panic, torn between the temptation to turn around and slip quietly out again before he saw her, and the need to complete the task she’d come all this way to do.
page 86

So...what do you think? Is this one you would pick up? Leave a comment below!

(These quotes are from uncorrected advance proofs. Please refer to the final printed book for corrected quotes!)

post signature

13 comments:

  1. This is my kind of story...and I forgot that I have this one on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/06/first-chapter-first-paragraph-108.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds good! Extra points for a pretty cover and Maine setting , too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! I'd absolutely keep reading, Kim. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cover is lovely and I also love the picture created in the first paragraph. Love the beach scene. Yes, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been noticing this one...and I am intrigued by the idea of the love letters....thanks for sharing; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo! I love the sound of this one. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it could be really good. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that really drew me in. Yes, I'd like to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I would keep reading, in fact this book is on my 20 Books of Summer challenge so I will be picking it up soon. I do hope you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/first-chapter-first-paragraph-june-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished this one. I won't be surprised when it appears on the Top Ten of 2015 list!

      Delete
  10. I'd read most anything with a Maine setting-- this or Stephen King๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd definitely keep reading. It got my attention right away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would pick this book up. The cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete