Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: Day After Night

Day After Night
by Anita Diamant
Why did you choose this book? I loved ‘The Red Tent’ by Anita Diamant, so when I saw this on the shelf, I picked it up
When did you read this book? April 2012
Who should read this book? readers of historical fiction 
Here is a synopsis of ‘Night After Day' from Goodreads, where it rates 3.57 stars.
Source: library  
Anita Diamant's story of four women, refugees from Nazi Europe, who find friendship, love, and salvation in a post-war British camp in Palestine.
My Review 
I picked this book up because I’d read ‘The Red Tent’ by Anita Diamant and enjoyed it. This is a story of four young Jewish women who had different experiences of World War II before they met at Atlit, a camp run by the British to house ‘illegal’ Jewish immigrants after the war. Tedi is Dutch, and was hidden for 2 years before being turned over to the Nazis. Zorah survived a concentration camp. Leonie is a Parisian, who did what she must to survive the war. And Shayndel is a Zionist activist who fought during the war.
I thought this was a great premise, as I’d never known such a camp existed. The people in the camp were basically prisoners, living behind barbed wire and being told when to eat, when to go to bed, and not allowed to leave the camp. It seemed wrong after their experiences of the war, many in concentration camps. At the same time, I guess I can understand regulating immigration. The story did cause me to read more about Atlit. And the was a very quick read. But this particular story just wasn’t that interesting to me. I’m not sure why, but the story never really seemed to start and I ended up reading just to finish. But it is getting decent ratings at Goodreads, so if the subject interests you, give it a try and let me know what you think!
My Rating:  ★★1/2   2-1/2 Stars

Counted for these challenges:
  • Support Your Local Library Challenge
  • Historical Fiction Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment