Saturday, January 17, 2015

Tracking Your Reading Statistics

Do you track your reading stats? I mean real stats.

For several years I’ve been tracking the books I read on Goodreads, and when I join the yearly reading challenge, it automatically tracks the number of books I’ve read that year. I can attempt to get more detailed by adding my books to different shelves, but that really doesn’t do a nice, neat breakdown of stats, at least not in any meaningful way.

For the past month I’ve been reading other bloggers end of year wrap-ups and I love all the neat charts and infographics they create! For an example, see Shannon’s wrap-up post at River City Reading. Isn’t that infographic awesome? Take a look at her 2013 wrap-up post for a different way of presenting her data.

After reading her post last year, I was really tempted to do something similar, but…
well….I just never quite sat down and worked on it. But after seeing various bloggers use their spreadsheet skills at the end of 2014, I knew it is something I want to try this year. Lucky for me, I saw on the Bloggiesta Facebook page that Shannon had offered to share her spreadsheet with us.

I changed a couple of categories and substituted some of my own, and I’m off. And typing in the info is actually motivating me to want to finish some books! Take a look and see if this works for you. There are other bloggers who have also developed reading spreadsheets Here are a couple of others I’ve come across.

I know I’ve seen even more but I just can’t find them right now. So if you are interested in another way to track your reading, but these are not exactly what you are looking for, look around. If you find one that looks good, please post the link in the comments below. It may be just what another blogger is looking for!

And Happy Tracking. I’m having so much fun with it, I may just have to go back and add in my 2014 reads!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. This looks like fun! I've seen other people doing this too, but it seemed like so much work. I guess it's not if you keep track as you go instead of trying to do it all at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete