Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Review: Alternate Sides

Alternate SideAlternate Side by Anna Quindlen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I picked this book up at a Little Free Library in Wentzville because the cover caught my eye and I'd heard good things about Anna Quindlen but had not read her before. This book was a disappointment after the build-up, and I'm not sure I will pick her up again.

I feel that the synopsis was completely misleading. It made it seem that the main characters were in a happy marriage that went bad after 'terrible incident' in the neighborhood. But truthfully, the marriage was already in trouble when the story started, and the 'incident' didn't take place until about a third of the way through the book. The story was slow moving and never really caught my attention. It felt more like reading someone's diary than a story with a point. It kind of felt like a 'coming-of-age' story, with the main character trying to figure out who she wanted to be, but she was in her 40s.

I'm giving this one 2½ Stars - ok, but just barely, and certainly forgettable! If you enjoy Anna Quindlen, maybe give it a try, but otherwise, put it near the bottom of you pile and read something else!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment