Friday, August 21, 2020

When We Were Young & Brave: A NovelWhen We Were Young & Brave: A Novel by Hazel Gaynor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I always like Hazel Gaynor books and I particularly enjoyed this one. Like many of her books, this one goes back in time. Nancy Plummer, now a grown woman, was a young girl at the time of WWII, when she was in a boarding school in China for children of missionaries. Elspeth Kent was one of her teachers and the leader of her Girl Guides group. Japan is at war with China, and takes over the school. The children and staff are sent to another school, and eventually, to an internment camp. I've read of the concentration camps in Germany, and of the Japanese interment camps here in the U.S., and I'd even read of the POW camps in which Japan held military prisoners. But I had not read of the interment of civilians by the Japanese, so I learned something new, a mark of good historical fiction!

One thing I really liked about the book is that while conditions were bleak and the Japanese soldiers were often cruel, the author also showed us that there is another side. Sometimes the guards could be quite humane! I also enjoyed how the prisoners pulled together to keep everyone's spirits up. I also appreciated that there was an epilogue to bring up up to date on some of the characters. I would like to have known the fate of some of the guards, but then that probably would have been unrealistic since the prisoners most likely didn't befriend the guards afterwards.

If you are looking for a quick read that may teach yo a little history, this is the book for you!

I received an advance copy of this book through the Library Think Early Reviewers program.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment