Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. I never would have read it, but my son's class read it in class, and then met to see the movie at the theater when it came out. I enjoyed the movie and started to read the book, but the little guy who loaned it to me took it back before I finished! My son finished the last three books in the series last month and told me to hurry up and read them so I could catch up and we could discuss it. How can I turn down an invitation like that?! So I downloaded to my ereader and finished in a few days.

I truly did enjoy the book. I enjoy this type of fantasy and it was a nice review of some Greek mythology. (It has even inspired me to pull out my old 'Classical Mythology' text from my college days. The Percy Jackson series is just a taste of mythology, but a perfect way to introduce it to upper elementary readers! If you've read the book and seen the movie, you know there are definitely differences in the details, but nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of the story. Both are very good. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series, The Sea of Monsters SOON!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I started this one a long time ago and never finished it. Maybe I should start reading it again! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete