Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review: Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale

Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I picked this book up because of the cover. The cover art pulled me in, and I have loved the story of The Little Mermaid since....forever. Actually, since I saw an old b/w 'live' version on tv in the 60's. I also love the Disney version. This is very unlike the Disney version in several ways. To start, in the Disney version, the sea witch and the rival for the prince's affection were the same character. In this story, they were two different characters with the rival being a real princess from the land. Also, the sea witch was a much more kind-hearted character in this version and seemed to care what happened to the mermaid. giving her chances to change her mind. The ending was also very different than the Disney version, though still a relatively happy ending. After I finished the book, I was inspired to read the Hans Christian Anderson version, since I don't remember ever reading it before. This book was much closer to the original version than to the Disney version. One thing I really liked about the book is how all of the female characters wanted to do 'the right thing' and were willing to sacrifice for the good of others. A good book and a quick read. Enjoy!

View all my reviews

1 comment: