Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: The Queen's Mistake


The Queen’s Mistake
by Diane Haeger
Why did you choose this book? The cover caught my eye
When did you read this book? August 2011
Who should read this book? readers of historical fiction who are willing to take a chance
Here is a synopsis of ‘The Queen’s Mistake' from Goodreads, where it rates 3.58 stars.
Source: library  
When the young and beautiful Catherine Howard becomes the fifth wife of the fifty-year-old King Henry VIII, she seems to be on top of the world. Yet her reign is destined to be brief and heartbreaking, as she is forced to do battle with enemies far more powerful and calculating than she could have ever anticipated in a court where one wrong move could mean her undoing. Wanting only love, Catherine is compelled to deny her heart?s desire in favor of her family’s ambition. But in so doing, she unwittingly gives those who sought to bring her down a most effective weapon?her own romantic past.
The Queen’s Mistake is the tragic tale of one passionate and idealistic woman who struggles to negotiate the intrigue of the court and the yearnings of her heart.
My Review 
This book is one in the author’s ‘In The Court of King Henry VIII’ series. I saw this book in the library and was drawn to the cover, since I enjoy reading about historical English royalty. However, this was a real disappointment. After several days of trying, I simply could not finish the book. One of the things that really bothered my was the way Catherine was portrayed as sexually precocious at a very young age, by design. As this story is told, her grandmother and uncle felt sexual training was part of her preparation as the future queen they intended her to be. But in addition to that, the book was just not that interesting. I thought about struggling through to the end, and then realized that there are so many other books on my list waiting to be read, some of which cover this same period in history. And I felt giving the time to this book meant putting aside a book I really might enjoy
I know some people think it is unfair to read a book when you haven’t finished it, but my take is...
If you found a book so uninteresting that you could not read it, I would like to know that BEFORE I waste my time on it. Now clearly, if you look at the Goodreads ratings, you will see I am in the minority, so read some other reviews before you cross this off you list. You may actually enjoy this one.
My Rating:  1 Star

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I like when people tell me they couldnt finish a book. It shows that I may get off to a rocky start, even though I may end up liking it if I finish it. Someone going round and blindly following one person's reviews isnt a good idea anyway. It makes more sense to do your own research. That way you get an unbiased description of the book.

    ReplyDelete