Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Thoughts For Tuesday: When The Moon Is Low

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where you can share the first paragraph, or a few, of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along!

Today I am spotlighting When The Moon Is Low by Nadia Hashimi.


   By turns astonishing, frightening, and triumphant, When The Moon Is Low chronicles one brave Afghan woman's odyssey to save her family

In Kabul, we meet Fereiba, a schoolteacher who puts her troubled childhood behind her when she finds love in an arranged marriage. But Fereiba's comfortable life implodes when the Taliban rises to power and her family becomes a target of the new fundamentalist regime. Forced to flee with her three children, Fereiba has one hope for survival: to seek refuge with her sister's family in London.

Traveling with forged papers and depending on the kindness of strangers, Fereiba and the children make a dangerous crossing into Iran under cover of darkness, the start of a harrowing journey that reduces her from a respected wife and mother to a desperate refugee.

Eventually they fall into the shadowy underground network of the undocumented who haunt the streets of Europe's cities. And then, in a busy market square in Athens, their fate takes a frightening turn when Fereiba's teenage son, Saleem, becomes separated from the rest of the family. Without his mother, Saleem is forced, abruptly and unforgivingly, to come of age in a world of human trafficking and squalid refugee camps.

Heartbroken, Fereiba has no choice but to continue on with only her daughter and baby. Mother and son cross border after perilous border, risking their lives in the hope of finding a place where they can be reunited.

Opening

Prologue
Fereiba

    Though I love to see my children resting soundly, in the quiet of their slumber my uneasy mind retraces our journey. How did I come to be here, with two of my three children curled on the bristly bedspread of a hotel room? So far from home, so far from voices I recognize.
    In my youth, Europe was the land of fashion and sophistication. Fragrant body creams, fine tailored jackets, renowned universities. Kabul admired the fair-complexioned imperialists beyond the Ural Mountains. We batted our eyelashes at them and blended their refinement with our tribal exoticism.
    When Kabul crumbled, so did the starry-eyed dreams of my generation. We no longer saw Europe’s frills. We could barely see beyond our own streets, so thick were the plumes of war. By the time my husband and I decided to flee our homeland, Europe’s allure had been reduced to its singular, sexiest quality — peace.

My Teaser

    The coins slipped through my fingers as I leaped to my feet and turned. Just inches from me stood one of the leering boys from the marketplace.
page 33

So...what do you think? Is this one you would pick up? Leave a comment below!

(These quotes are from uncorrected advance proofs. Please refer to the final printed book for corrected quotes!)

post signature

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing and wow that cover is fabulous. I do want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. The teaser on my adult blog this week comes from the steampunk mystery - Bronze Gods by A. A. Aguirre. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fascinating and your teaser really hooked me. The cover is wonderful too. I'd like to read it.
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/14/teaser-tuesdays-122-below-the-water-line/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to be in the right frame of mind for this I think, but it does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds so intense and captivating. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE MURDERER’S DAUGHTER”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll look out for this book - I'd like to know more about it, before deciding whether to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds interesting! I've had The Underground Girls of Kabul on my TBR list for awhile now...this whole topic interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sad and scary sounding situation. So frightening. I bet this one will be really good and very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this sounds fantastic... I'd like to read it! Will be curious to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard the author speak about this book and her family background at a Library Journal event before BEA this year. I have a copy of the book and am planning to read it. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that cover!! I'd have to read a little more to decide if I wanted to read the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the writing, the premise and the cover! I haven't heard of this book but it sounds like a thoughtful if sad read...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds really good.

    mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/teaser-tuesday-diplomatic-immunity/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that opening for this book. The young mother got my attention and I'd like to keep reading. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The intro and cover have gained my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm intrigued, but it sounds like a heavier book than I prefer. Maybe if I'm in the right mood. The cover is gorgeous. Blue is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds very good. Adding this to my wish list right now.

    ReplyDelete