Thursday, February 25, 2016

#6BoookishDegreesOfSeparation - New

Does it sometimes seem that the book you are reading is somehow linked to a book you’ve already read? Making connections is what #6BookishDegreesofSeparation, hosted by Tanya at Girlxoxo, is all about! Each month Tanya will give a starting point, and our job is to pick a book using that theme, and then link 5 more books in a chain, drawing connections between the books.

This month our starting point it ‘new’.

I am starting with The Stargazer’s Sister by Carrie Brown because this book is from the ‘New Books’ shelf at my local library. A bonus is that Carrie Brown is a new-to-me author. This novel is based on the life of Caroline Herschel, a female astronomer.

The next book in my chain is a nonfiction book about women scientists, Headstrong by Rachel Swaby. This book consists of sketches of 52 female scientists and their achievements, who often did not get the recognition deserved simply because they were women.

Another book about women who accomplished great things in their chosen field without receiving much recognition is Sounds and Sweet Airs by Anna Beer. This book outlines the musical achievements of six classical composers, all female.

The classics makes me think of eighteenth century France, so my next book is The Sisters of Versailles by Sally Christie. This is a story of the five Nesle sisters, four of whom were mistress to King Louis XV, and their lives at court in Versailles.

Next I am jumping to The Sister Queens by by Sophie Perinot. This is also a novel of sisters —  this time there are four — and they all became queens. One even became queen to King Louis of France, but this time we are jumping back to thirteenth century France and King Louis IV. (I never can keep all those Louis straight!)

My final book in this chain is Four Queens by Nancy Goldstone. This is a nonfiction account covering the same four sisters.



There you have it; from astronomer to queen in 6 steps! Do you have a chain this month? Be sure to link it on Tanya’s blog or leave a comment below.


#6BookishDegreesofSeparation is meme hosted by Tanya at Girlxoxo. This is based on the Six Degrees of Separation meme formerly hosted by Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman. Tanya has the schedule up for the entire year, so if you are interested, take a look!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to check out Sounds and Sweet Airs!
    How are you liking The Stargazer's Sister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to hear how your journey of sisters progresses. I am personally sister obsessed--I have only one and she was even my roommate in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I loved reading your chain! I haven't read many books that feature sisters - in fact, the only one that comes to mind is Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete