Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday - February 3, 2016

It’s Wednesday and that means it’s time to learn some new words! Wondrous Words Wednesday, hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion, is a meme which encourages us to share words we have learned while reading. The words I share will sometimes be completely new to me, and other times they will be words I am familiar with, and maybe even use correctly, but when I think about how to explain the meaning, I’m lost — I have to look it up. It’s all about expanding my vocabulary!

I’m still making my way through The Witch of Lime Street by David Jaher, so I have a couple of new words from that one.

truculent - aggressively self-assertive; easily annoyed or angered
“Usually the spirit was affable, as had been the man, except when encountering a sitter he did not like; then he became truculent, a force to be feared.”  - page 125

gimcrack - showy object of little use or value
“In a Cleveland hotel banquet hall a gimcrack band played ragtime.”  - page 137

I also have a few words I came across while reading The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth

veritable - real or true
“Every morning and afternoon, the nurse rolls her table-on-wheels through the halls with the baskets, a veritable candy woman of pharmaceuticals.”  - page 7

gormless - stupid, dull
“Just like that, his gormless smile is back.”  - page 75

secateurs - pruning shears
“He drops his secateurs into a bucket and dips to snatch up a larger pair of garden shears.”  - page 83

What new-to-you words have you discovered this week?

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you found some great words! I must admit I favor those that start with a g - gormless and gimcrack. I can't wait to use gormless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the new words you found - good job. It's probably just me, but I really like gormless. It sounds so much nicer than what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words, veritable was the only one that sounded familar.

    ReplyDelete