Sunday, January 29, 2017

SIx Degrees of Separation - January 2017


As you can see, I’ve taken quite a long break from blogging until a couple of weeks ago. I’m trying to get started again, but the only way I will get this going is if I make it fun for me instead of an obligation. One of my favorite things to blog in the past was the Six Degrees of Separation meme, so today I’m going to have some fun with it….even if it IS three weeks late!

Six Degrees of Separation is a monthly meme that was started by Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman. It is currently hosted by Kate on her booksaremyfavouriteandbest blog, and normally runs on the first Saturday of the month. The main idea of this meme is to form a chain of books by linking something they have in common, kind of like forming a word ladder with common letters, and everyone begins their chains with the same book. Other than that, there are no set rules. You get to make your own!

This month, we are starting with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. This is a mystery/thriller set in Sweden and translated from the original Swedish that I read and enjoyed several years ago. If you haven’t read it yet, take a look!

Another book that I just finished for book club, The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald, is also translated from the original Swedish. This is the story of a yound woman from Sweden who comes to visit a friend in a small Iowa town and opens a bookstore during her stay. Books are a big part of her life — can you relate?

A bookstore is also an important part of the story in Mr. Penumbra’s 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. This is a fantasy book with a supernatural element, and the thing I liked best is the ‘glow-in-the-dark’ cover! So fun!

The Witch of Lime Street by David Jaher also has a fun ‘glow-in-the-dark’ cover. This is narrative nonfiction about Harry Houdini and his work to expose mediums during the era of spiritualism. Though it is long and took me awhile to get through, the book is well-written and sourced, and I enjoyed learning about this period in our history.

Another book of narrative nonfiction that took me awhile to get through, but is well-written and I enjoyed is Ravensbrück by Sarah Helm. This is the true story of the women who were imprisoned and tortured by the Nazis at Ravensbrück — a difficult read but a story that is important to know!

I read Ravensbrück as a follow-up to Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. While I have trouble when someone asks me for a ’top ten’ list, I have no problem saying this book was definitely among my top three reads of 2016! This is historical fiction about the ‘Polish Rabbits’, a group of Polish women who were imprisoned and experimented on by doctors at Ravensbrück. Even as fiction, it was at times difficult to read!

There it is...my first chain of 2017; from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to Lilac Girls in six moves! Not too bad for my first Six Degrees post in almost a year! Visit the current Six Degrees post on Kate’s blog to link up your chain and see what others have done with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Next month (next WEEK!!!) we are starting with Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I haven’t read it, but it’s been on my list awhile. Come back and see what I do with it!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment