Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Nonfiction November Week 1 - My 2017 in Nonfiction

Nonfiction November has begun! The discussion this week is being hosted by Julie at Julz Reads. Our discussion topic this week is Your Year In Nonfiction.

Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

My favorite nonfiction read of 2017
I’ve read several nonfiction books this year. Interestingly, most of my nonfiction reading was early in 2017 I read 5 nonfiction books by the middle of March, and then didn’t pick up another one until last month. I read 2 relatively short nonfiction books in the humor category.
Here is a listing of nonfiction I’ve read since last year’s Nonfiction November event started.

I’ve enjoyed them all, but if I have to choose one favorite, it is The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Woman by Kate Moore.

The nonfiction book I recommend most
Again, that would have to be The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Woman by Kate Moore.

One topic or type of nonfiction I haven’t read enough of yet

Several years ago I set myself a goal of reading at least one book about each US president or his presidency. So far I’ve read only one, and that would be Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President  by Candice Millard. I just read that one this year, so obviously I need to work on this!

What I hope to get out of my participation in Nonfiction November
I want to see what type of nonfiction other bloggers are reading and hopefully find a few books to add to my every-growing to-read list!  Most likely I will also add to my list of bloggers I follow! Let the fun begin!

post signature

15 comments:

  1. I added Destiny of the Republic to my list last November, but still haven't gotten around to reading it... so many books! Have read some very positive reviews of The Radium Girls. Glad to know you recommend it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Radium Girls will need to be added to my list to read! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chance at Radium Girls when it was an ARC and I really wish I'd read it then. It's on everyone's lists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Text, Don't Call looks like a fun little read!

    What a goal to read one book about every presidency! I would definitely find it to be a challenge, and maybe part of the challenge would be to find truly interesting books about each one.
    Happy reading!
    http://www.mindjoggle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Kim, all the books you listed are new to me, but the one you recommend most, Radium Girls, does sound interesting. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have The Radium Girls on my pending list at the library. Should have remembered I wanted to read that one. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Hope you find some great nonfiction titles to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading all the US presidents will be a big challenge. I wonder if it's even possible to do the same for our Australian Prime Ministers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! My guess is that you know a lot more about our US presidents than I do about your Australian Prime Ministers!

      Delete
  8. Radium Girls is also on my list! Glad that's a good one. I like that goal of reading at least one book about a president and/or his presidency. Good luck with that! So many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added Radium Girls to my TBR recently. Glad to hear you loved it so much! That makes me look forward to it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man! You've got some great reads on your list! I'm definitely interested in The Radium Girls and I totally forgot about The Princess Diarist; I love Carrie Fisher! Excited to see more of your posts, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to see Radium Girls on your list because it's actually my book club's next read! I can't wait to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have The Princess Diarist on my tbr. I love Carrie Fisher.

    You have some terrific reads. Am now wanting to read Radium Girls and The Only Woman in the Room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your nonfiction reading is so diverse! Of course, because I love fiction so much, I'm going to digress- you've already read The Girls in the Picture. I am so excited for that one.

    But first I'm going to try and read some nonfiction...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, looks like I am going to have to pick up a copy of 'Radium Girls', it must be a good one. It's made a bunch of lists this go around. Thank you for bringing it back to front of mind.

    ReplyDelete