Thursday, November 10, 2011

Review: The Five People You Meet in Heaven


The Five People You Meet in Heaven
by Mitch Albom
Hyperion Hardcover
ISBN 9780756989989
196 pages
Release Date: January 28, 2003
Available for purchase 
AMAZON          BARNES AND NOBLE



Why did you choose this book? This was a bookclub selection. 
When did you read this book? before 2007
Who should read this book? bookclubs
Here is a synopsis of ‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven' from Goodreads, where it rates 3.70 stars.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him, as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"
My Review 
This was one of the first books I read for a bookclub. I remember it being a quick read. I read it for a book club in a day. I enjoyed it and it kept my interest. It got rave reviews, but it wasn't a 'life-changing' book for me. Read it once and then passed it on. Interestingly, I just read ‘Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven’ by Fannie Flagg for my current bookclub. The experience in heaven in that book reminded me a bit of this one.
My Rating:  ★★★ 3 Stars






Before the Blog is a meme hosted by YA Litwit. The idea here is that we have all been reading much longer than we have been blogging and have many books in our reading past that are worthy of blogging about. This is a way to 'rediscover' these gems by answering a few basic questions. For details check out Karis' YA Litwit blog.

1 comment: