Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: Journey To Munich

Journey To Munich
by Jacqueline Winspear

Why I chose this book? I’ve never read Maisie Dobbs and this one is set in pre-WWII Berlin
When I read this book? April 2016
Who should read this book? Maisie Dobbs fans and those interested in WWII fiction
Source: TLC Book Tours
Here is a synopsis of Journey To Munich from Goodreads

Working with the British Secret Service on an undercover mission, Maisie Dobbs is sent to Hitler’s Germany in this thrilling tale of danger and intrigue—the twelfth novel in Jacqueline Winspear’s New York Times bestselling “series that seems to get better with each entry” (Wall Street Journal).

It’s early 1938, and Maisie Dobbs is back in England. On a fine yet chilly morning, as she walks towards Fitzroy Square—a place of many memories—she is intercepted by Brian Huntley and Robert MacFarlane of the Secret Service. The German government has agreed to release a British subject from prison, but only if he is handed over to a family member. Because the man’s wife is bedridden and his daughter has been killed in an accident, the Secret Service wants Maisie—who bears a striking resemblance to the daughter—to retrieve the man from Dachau, on the outskirts of Munich.

The British government is not alone in its interest in Maisie’s travel plans. Her nemesis—the man she holds responsible for her husband’s death—has learned of her journey, and is also desperate for her help.

Traveling into the heart of Nazi Germany, Maisie encounters unexpected dangers—and finds herself questioning whether it’s time to return to the work she loved. But the Secret Service may have other ideas. . . .

My Review

I picked this one up because of the cover; I love WWII era fiction and this one takes place in Berlin in the years leading up to the US entry into the war. Then I found out it is a Maisie Dobbs book. I’ve heard good things about the series, but had never read a book before, so this seemed like a good place to start. I really want to talk about the cover a bit because I do like it very much. The Nazi flag, as well as the train and the clothing give you a feel immediately for the era in which the story takes place. I also like the it is artwork as opposed to photography, letting me ‘feel’ more than ‘see’ what the story is about.

I also want to address this book as a ‘stand-alone’ novel. I opted not to read any of the previous books before this one, because I wanted to be able to tell year if it works as a ‘stand-alone’ novel. The verdict — yes it does. Even though I’d never read a Maisie Dobbs book before, I found the story very easy to follow, with enough background information given when needed, so that I didn’t feel I was missing out. That said, even though it did work well as a stand-alone, there were times when I wished I’d read the previous books to understand Maisie’s relationships to other characters a little better. One example, we are introduced to Sandra, a former employee of Maisie who currently lives in Maisie’s apartment. While details aren’t important to the story in this book, I did feel there are some stories Maisie and Sandra have shared that would be interesting.

Now on to this story — I enjoyed reading about Berlin in the pre-war days and the way people were on edge, wanting to believe that all was well, but in denial about Hitler and what he stood for. I also enjoyed the mystery and the thought processes Maisie used. There were some suspenseful moments. Even though I knew it would all work out in the end, there were times I wanted to say, “Maisie, don’t do it! That is just going to cause trouble for you down the road!”

If you are a fan of Maisie Dobbs, you should enjoy this one very much. Even if you haven’t read the series in the past, I think you will enjoy this one, and perhaps want to go back and read some of the previous Maisie Dobbs books!

About Jacqueline Winspear

Jacqueline Winspear is the author of the New York Timesbestsellers Leaving Everything Most Loved, Elegy for Eddie, A Lesson in Secrets, The Mapping of Love and Death, Among the Mad, and An Incomplete Revenge, as well as four other national bestselling Maisie Dobbs novels. Her standalone novel, The Care and Management of Lies, was also a New York Times bestseller. She has won numerous awards for her work, including the Agatha, Alex, and Macavity awards for the first book in the series, Maisie Dobbs, which was also nominated for the Edgar Award for Best Novel and was a New York Times Notable Book. Originally from the United Kingdom, she now lives in California.

Find out more about Jacqueline at her website, www.jacquelinewinspear.com, and find her on Facebook.



My Rating:   ✰✰✰½     3.5 Stars


This book review is included in a tour by TLC Book Tours. I was provided a copy for review purposes.

Jacqueline’s Tour Stops
Tuesday, March 1st: My Book Retreat – Maisie Dobbs
Wednesday, March 2nd: Jancee Reads – Maisie Dobbs
Wednesday, March 2nd: Reading Reality – Birds of a Feather
Thursday, March 3rd: View from the Birdhouse – Birds of a Feather
Thursday, March 3rd: BookNAround – Pardonable Lies
Thursday, March 3rd: Puddletown Reviews – Pardonable Lies
Thursday, March 3rd: From the TBR Pile – Messenger of Truth
Monday, March 7th: Books & Tea – An Incomplete Revenge
Monday, March 7th: Olduvai Reads – An Incomplete Revenge
Tuesday, March 8th: #redhead.with.book – Among the Mad
Thursday, March 10th: Joyfully Retired – A Lesson in Secrets
Friday, March 11th: Lavish Bookshelf – The Mapping of Love and Death
Monday, March 14th: Queen of All She Reads – Elegy for Eddie
Monday, March 14th: Lis Carey’s Library – Leaving Everything Most Loved
Tuesday, March 15th: Nighttime Reading Center – Leaving Everything Most Loved
Tuesday, March 15th: Lit and Life – Leaving Everything Most Loved
Wednesday, March 16th: Emerald City Book Review – A Dangerous Place
Monday, March 21st: A Bookish Affair – Leaving Everything Most Loved
Monday, March 21st: Book Nerd – A Dangerous Place
Wednesday, March 23rd: Carina Gonzalez – A Dangerous Place
Thursday, March 24th: My Reader’s Block – Leaving Everything Most Loved
Thursday, March 24th: Lis Carey’s Library – A Dangerous Place
Tuesday, March 29th: Curling Up by the Fire – Journey to Munich
Tuesday, March 29th: nomadreader – Journey to Munich
Wednesday, March 30th: A Chick Who Reads – Journey to Munich
Thursday, March 31st: A Bookish Way of Life – Journey to Munich
Friday, April 1st: A Bookish Affair – A Dangerous Place
Friday, April 1st: My Book Retreat – Journey to Munich
Monday, April 4th: Raven Haired Girl – Journey to Munich
Tuesday, April 5th: Broken Teepee – Journey to Munich
Wednesday, April 6th: Reading Reality – Journey to Munich
Thursday, April 7th: Dwell in Possibility – Journey to Munich
Tuesday, April 12th: M. Denise Costello – Journey to Munich
Wednesday, April 13th: A Bookish Affair – Journey to Munich
Thursday, April 14th: A Bookworm’s World – Journey to Munich
Monday, April 18th: Joyfully Retired – Journey to Munich
Wednesday, April 20th: bookchickdi – Journey to Munich
Wednesday, April 20th: Emerald City Book Review – Journey to Munich
Thursday, April 21st: Nighttime Reading Center – Journey to Munich
Monday, April 25th: Time 2 Read – Journey to Munich
Thursday, April 28th: Luxury Reading – Journey to Munich
TBD: History from a Woman’s Perspective – Leaving Everything Most Loved
TBD: Lavish Bookshelf – Journey to Munich

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I'm very pleased to see that you were able to enjoy this book without having read the rest of the series!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete