Thursday, March 12, 2015

Review: Parenting: Illustrated With Crappy Pictures

Parenting: Illustrated With Crappy Pictures
by Amber Dusick

Why did you choose this book? for my Goodreads Choice Awards challenge
When did you read this book? January 2015
Who should read this book? parents of very young children
Source: library ebook
Here is a synopsis of Parenting: Illustrated With Crappy Pictures from Goodreads

Of course you love being a parent. But sometimes, it just sucks. I know. I'm Amber Dusick and I started my blog Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures because I needed a place to vent about the funny (and frustrating) day-to-day things that happened to me as a parent. Turns out, poop is hilarious! At least when you're not the one wiping it up.

This book won't make your frustrating moments any less crappy. But these stories about my Crappy Baby, Crappy Boy and my husband, Crappy Papa, will hopefully make you laugh. Because you're not alone. And sometimes the crappiest moments make the best memories. Parenting is wonderful! And also, well, you know.

My Review

This is a very short book, and the review is also very short! I picked this one up to read for my 2015 Goodreads Choice Awards challenge. I don’t read a lot of humor, so that is one of the categories I challenged myself to read this year. And this one was available for download through my local libraries Overdrive offerings, so it was ‘instant gratification!’

Admittedly, I am probably not the ‘target audience’ for this book. I have grown and almost grown children and it’s been several years since I had a toddler running around. Consequently, while there were certainly times when I smiled and nodded my head in a ‘been there, done that’ kind of way, I don’t think anything in this book ever struck me as ‘laugh out loud’ funny. If you are a young, rather inexperienced mom, you may feel differently.

This book reminds me very much of Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. Both books are in the ‘humor’ category and are outgrowths of popular blogs. And in both cases, I think the stories are best in small doses. Yes, there are a few humorous moments and if you only read the blog a few times each week, they are probably very enjoyable. But after a few of these, the humor gets old and they aren’t so funny. Which of course means that this may be the perfect book for a busy mom who can only sit and read for ten minutes at a time. But for me, it was just an ‘ok’ read.

My Rating:  ★★1/2      2-1/2 Stars

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment