Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2015 Reading Wrap-up - Part III

Consider this 2015 Reading Wrap-up - Part III. (You can click to read Part I and Part II if you missed it.)  I thought I was done with my 2015 Reading Wrap-up. But as I read other blogs, I realized that I’d never told you about my favorite books! So today, that is what I am doing.
Here are my best (and worst) of 2015!

Favorite reads of 2015

I could list a lot of books here but I will just give you my 5-Star reads for 2015.
A Sister To Honor by Lucy Ferris
I liked this one so much I read it twice!
Lone Star by Paullina Simons
This one left me with extreme book hangover! I still miss Jonny Rainbow!
When The Moon Is Low by Nadia Hashimi
I read this one just before the Syrian refugee crisis made headlines when a toddler washed up on shore. It left quite an impact on me.
Moloka’i by Alan Brennert
Another re-read. I first read it about ten years ago. I enjoyed it just as much this time.
Orphan #8 by Kim van Alkemade
I recommend this one to my book club and we will be reading it  in 2016.


Biggest Surprises

These are books that were pleasant surprises for me; they turned out to be better than I expected
This is one that I had on my list when it first came out because it sounded interesting. But then I kind of lost interest in paranormal fiction and took it off my list. Then last fall it was chosen by Overdrive for Big Library Read. It still didn’t seem that interesting, but I decided to download it and read it if I had time. It turned out that I liked it quite a bit. It was paranormal, but it was also historical fiction, a bit of mystery, and a bit of romance!
The Sound of Glass by Karen White
This is another one that was more than I expected. I thought I was getting a light ‘chick lit’ type read, but it turned out to be more. It was a surprise and I enjoyed it.
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
This is another I was gifted with by the publisher. I don’t read a lot of suspense / thriller stories and I expected to trudge through this one. But I raced through it and enjoyed it very much.


Biggest Disappointments

The opposite of a pleasant surprise, these are books that left me disappointed in some way.
After You by Jojo Moyes
This was not a bad book; it’s just that I expected so much more. Me Before You was a pleasant surprise for me, and I was really looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, it was quite a let down for me after anticipating it with so much enthusiasm.
This was a book club pick and not one I would have normally chosen because of the paranormal storyline. So it shouldn’t have been such a disappointment when I didn’t enjoy it. However, there was so much hype around the book and so many in my book club were excited to read it, that I’d hoped for a better reading experience.
The Pilot’s Wife by Anita Shreve
This one has been on my shelf a long time. I picked it up off an exchange shelf because I’d seen a few minutes of the movie while scanning channels several years ago, and it seemed to be a story I wanted to read. However, it turns out that the part of the movie I’d seen was the climax; near the end of the story. Rather than learn what happens next, I only saw what led up to the moments I’d seen. That was disappointing.


Best Book Club Reads

These are the books I read for my book club this year that I most enjoyed
A Sister To Honor by Lucy Ferris
Moloka’i by Alan Brennert
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger


Best covers

I could add a lot of covers here but these are the ones I like best. I’ll just say it with pictures!

Here are the links in case you want to read more!
**Letters To The Lost by Iona Grey
**Moloka’i by Alan Brenner
**The Race For Paris by Meg Waite Clayton
**The Sound of Glass by Karen White
**Sisters of Shiloh by Kathy and Becky Hepenstal


Well, NOW I think I am done with my wrap-ups and ready to look at my 2015challenges….I think. I guess you’ll have to check back here to see if I think of anything else!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I had The Kind Worth Killing on my 'best of' list too. Such a twisty story - layers within layers. Loved it. I read Ordinary Grace with my mystery book group a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed it. And I love those book covers.

    ReplyDelete