Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday - Feb 17, 2016


It’s Wednesday and that means it’s time to learn some new words! Wondrous Words Wednesday, hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion, is a meme which encourages us to share words we have learned while reading. The words I share will sometimes be completely new to me, and other times they will be words I am familiar with, and maybe even use correctly, but when I think about how to explain the meaning, I’m lost — I have to look it up. It’s all about expanding my vocabulary!

This week my words are all from The Sisters Of Versailles by Sally Christie. This story is set in 18th century France, and I’m learning a lot of ‘new-to-me’ words. Here are some that I came across this week.

refectory - a room used for communal meals, especially in an educational or religious institution
“The food in the convent isn’t very good and the refectory here is so cold we shiver even in the summer” - page 58


ouibliette - a secret dungeon with access only through a trap door in the ceiling
“I feel Charolais shrink away from me and Meuse looks as though he wishes oubliettes were still in use that I might fall into one and disappear.”  - page 137


sacristy - a room in a church where the priest prepares for service and where vestments, etc. are kept
“She was taken to the sacristy in a church in town and left unattended;...”  - page 250


fichu - small triangular shawl worn around a woman's shoulders and neck
“...Rupelmonde was chastised just last week for the sudden disappearance of her new and fashionable fichu when the king arrived...”  - page 35


stomacher - a v-shaped piece of decorative cloth, worn over the chest and stomach in the 16th century  
“Recently, Gillette admired me simple green gown, the stomacher sewn with bands of real white carnations.”  - page 46


What new-to-you words have you discovered this week?

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I almost always find new words in historical fiction - I should read more of it! I knew sacristy had to do with a church and thought refectory did too. I see a refectory can be in a church but isn't always. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Kathy, I always find new words reading historical fiction. I knew refectory and sacristy also. I have been reading Emma by Jane Austen and shared stomacher a couple weeks ago. You can see my post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only knew refectory and sacristy, the others I never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at all your new words and they all look familiar, but this only one I knew for sure was sacristy. Learning new words is a good part of why I love reading historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete