Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest
Millennium Trilogy
by Stieg Larsson

Why did you choose this book? I’d read the first two in the series and have had this on my list for awhile.
When did you read this book? June 2013
Who should read this book? readers who enjoyed the earlier books
Source: library ebook

In the concluding volume of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy, Lisbeth Salander lies in critical condition in a Swedish hospital, a bullet in her head.
But she’s fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she’ll stand trial for three murders. With the help of Mikael Blomkvist, she’ll need to identify those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she’ll seek revenge—against the man who tried to kill her and against the corrupt government institutions that nearly destroyed her life.

My Review 

I read the first two books in the Millennium trilogy some time ago and have had finishing the trilogy on my ‘to do’ list for awhile now. When I had a 2000 mile road trip ahead of me last month, I decided listening to the audiobook was the perfect way to get started. (I did end up reading the ebook version for the last ¾ of the story.)

My feelings about this book are much the same as they were after reading the first book, which I reviewed here, so I will quote myself...

This is a long book; over 400 pages. (I read it on my ereader.) It started out very slowly, and to be honest, I almost gave up on it. Because other reviewers recommended sticking with it I did, and I learned it is worth struggling through the first 70-100 pages until the story becomes too interesting to put down!”

I think a big part of the book starting out slowly for me  is that  the names and places are hard to keep straight. There are so many characters and often the names are so similar, that it took me awhile to really be able to follow the story. For more on that, read this article by Nora Ephon . She explains it much better than I can.

Once I got into the story, though, it moved very quickly. I love the character of Lisbeth Salander. She can be moody and uncommunicative, but she is also smart and  true to her principles, uncoventional as they are.  The story was suspenseful and with the recent activities of the NSA and Edward Snowen in the news, even though the book was written several years ago it actually feels very relevant!

This is the 3rd book in what was conceived by the author as a 10 book collection. He passed on in while the fourth book was in progress, and to be honest, even though I enjoyed this series and very much enjoy Lisbeth Salander, I feel the series ends well here, and I really don’t know if I’d read anymore books even if they had been completed.  I did enjoy the series and recommend it for anyone who enjoys crime stories full of suspense, Just be prepared for the slow start. And while it may not be absolutely necessary, I would recommend you read the books in order, starting with “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”.

You can view a book trailer for  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest below.


My Rating:  ★★★★   4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment